Deleting Conference Registrations - Automatic Removal
Effective December 15, 2021, MyConferenceTime conference registration data (student and parent data) will be deleted from the website 30 days after the student/parent’s conference date. The purpose of this is to protect student security by limiting the availability of student information online.
While no student data is available to anyone other than school staff who have the ability to log in, MyConferenceTime is aiming to reduce the risk of student data being released due to unforeseen circumstances. More states are requiring online entities to adhere to student privacy requirements, and one way that MyConferenceTime can comply with these requirements is to keep the data retention period of student data on our website to a minimum.
- The automatic removal of student/parent registration data affects only student/parent registrations.
- Staff accounts will not automatically be removed. Staff data will remain on the MyConferenceTime website until removed by an account administrator.
- Schedules (title, time slots, breaks) will not automatically be removed. Schedules and their dates/times will remain on the website, they just won’t have the student data on them.
Example of conference registration and removal process
- Mrs. Baker, a math teacher, has time slots posted for September 16 and September 17.
- On September 3, Susie’s mom registers for a conference with Mrs. Baker to be held on September 16, 4:30 – 4:45pm.
- Because the conference is September 16, the registration information for Susie’s mom will be removed from MyConferenceTime on October 16, 30 days after the conference date of September 16.
- The registration occurred on September 3, but the 30 day deletion is based on 30 days after the conference date, not 30 days after the registration date, which is why the deletion occurs on October 16, not October 3.
Hypothetical examples to demonstrate how the new policy affects student/parent registrations
- For parent-teacher conferences held on November 29, 2021, the student/parent data will be deleted on December 29, 2021 (30 days after the conference date of November 29).
- For parent-teacher conferences held on April 5, 2022, the student/parent data for the April 5 conferences will be deleted from MyConferenceTime on May 5, 2022 (30 days after the conference date of April 5).
- For parent-teacher conferences that were held on September 20, 2021, the student/parent data will be deleted on December 15, 2021 (the starting date of the new policy since December 15 is more than 30 days after the conference date).
What this means to schools
- Conference registrations will continue to occur as they have in the past.
- Conference registrations will be available on MyConferenceTime for 30 days after the date of the student’s conference.
- Registrations that are 30 days past the date of the conference will automatically be deleted from MyConferenceTime.
- Staff information (the data that admins see in the Staff Summary) will not be deleted, which means admins do not have to re-add staff names, email addresses, etc. each year.
- Schedules (title, time slots, breaks) will not be deleted, they just won’t have the student data on them. While we recommend that you create new schedules each year (it’s easier, in our opinion), your old schedules will remain if you want to reuse them.
- School admins can delete student registration data prior to the automatic removal after 30 days.
We have added extra ways for teachers and administrators to download student data for schools who want to keep their own records of student registrations locally (not on MyConferenceTime). Methods to download student data include:
- Teacher: print/download a PDF of your conference schedule
- Teacher: download a CSV (spreadsheet) of your conference schedule
- Admin: print/download a PDF based on the schedule
- Admin: print/download a PDF based on the conference date
- Admin: download a CSV (spreadsheet) based on the schedule
- Admin: download a CSV (spreadsheet) based on the conference date
MyConferenceTime account administrators will be notified by email when registrations will be removed so that they have time to download or print registration information.
- Schools sometimes need a record of when parental contact was made regarding a student.
- Schools sometimes need to complete reports regarding conference attendance, whether it be the number of conferences held or the total number of students represented. Having the information saved would allow school administrators to complete reports that their district might request.